Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Stair door backward

I can't stand wasted or unused space. So, this nook under the staircase had to be accessible, via a funky little door that fits right to the space.

In discussing it with the door guy, our jobsite foreman, our contractor, Dave, and anyone who'd listen, I was adament from day one that it open into the hall, not to the stairs. I had to repeat this in every conversation, because everyone wanted to hinge it on the long side. NO, I insisted, I don't want to stand on the steps to nudge it open.

Door-swing terminology is really complicated. There's "left-hand" and "right-hand" swing, but what does that mean? Does it matter if it swings in or out? Does it matter if you're standing on the "inside" or "outside" of the space? Does everyone do it the same way? Maybe, maybe, and definitely No.

I insisted on seeing the printed door order and approving it before any purchases were made. That might sound smart, but in fact, it means you take on responsibility for any tiny obscure mistake in the order, often in some part number or code for the finish color or something you don't know enough to notice.

But this one, I made certain was specified correctly: "LH," meaning, when you look at the door and it swings away from you, the hinges are on the left.

Despite my great care, I was dismayed to see that sure enough, the hinges ended up on the long side, and it opens into the stairs.

Looks like I have another round of draining phone calls to make when everything re-opens next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment