Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Granite!

The granite for the two downstairs bathrooms went in today.

Why granite, when the kitchen countertops are quartz composite, and the two upstairs bathroom vanities are Corian? Why, cost of course! Short of cultured marble, granite offered the most cost-saving options (remnants, prefab, numerous sources).

Downstairs main bathroom:


Guest bathroom:


I found my own granite source, bypassing my GC's preferred source. I'm never sure if I'm breaking an unspoken construction protocol by going out on my own, but the end result was that while I found a place that would charge considerably less, I was now on my own to do the coordinating. The place I found was recommended by a very picky friend, and indeed, the price was right: $900 for the remnants, fabrication and installation of both. My GC's guy wanted over $1100 for each.

But the guy I found didn't keep track of the remnants I chose from his yard, his office staff didn't convey messages, he didn't remember the price quote he'd given me over the phone, he needed several reminders about the date he'd committed to for templating, didn't call on the day of install, left messages on the wrong phone numbers, told me to send email and then never read or answered it. Then when I called about install, he couldn't commit to a time and said lightly, "Ahh, let's see, sometime this afternoon?" As if I just hang around a cold jobsite all day with three small children, waiting for him to breeze in whenever.

I'm deeply grateful that my most excellent GC has spared me the vast majority of this sort of hassle. Except what I take on myself to save $1200.

No comments:

Post a Comment