Friday, December 5, 2008

Tile and mason

The mason's been here! Preparing the original wood fireplace for the new mantle and tile surround. Unfortunately, it turns out the drywall and framing above the mantle is so distorted it has to be replaced. More extras.


You can see the test-painting I was doing. The future color will be Kelly-Moore "Dustry Trail," the greenish color on the left.

The first bathroom's tile is in! Grout still isn't in, so the lines look a lot darker. I love that onyx border. We'd long since settled on these materials and design when I learned that the onyx border is $18.50 a foot -- and this design has a double border! Agh!

But, I've also learned, that a detail like that is worth putting a few extra hundred dollars into. This bathroom will be Grand Central Bathroom, where all the fingernail-clipping, bandaid-applying, allergy-medicine-finding, morning toothbrushing, last-minute hair touch-ups, toddler-potty-training, pre-dinner handwashing, mudbath-rinsing and countless other functions will take place. I'll be spending a lot of time in here.

The kitchen cabinet installation continues! Here, the kitchen designer, the cabinet installer, the project foreman and the countertop templater discuss the farmhouse sink installation. Seeing this collaboration makes me very, very, VERY happy!


I'm really happy with our kitchen designer, for numerous reasons. Not only did she design a beautiful kitchen, and keep aesthetics in mind while working with a very functionally-oriented client (me), but she's also well-versed in the countless details of installation. She's been onsite many times answering countless details about the installation that I'd never have thought of: how the countertop edging works with the sink edge. Where the countertop seam should go. How to conceal a triangle gap at the ceiling. How to reposition light fixtures that were misplaced. More and more I find myself answering questions with, "Whatever she says." I'm not even choosing the knobs, other than to rule out the bin-style cup ones because they force you to twist your wrist to open a drawer and that's just not functional enough. See what she's up against?

No comments:

Post a Comment