Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wood Island

My island is in! And yes, it's huge -- 7 feet long -- but it fits the kitchen. I guess the kitchen is huge. I didn't expect that exactly, I didn't think I was a huge-kitchen sort of person. I must be the sort of person who can't, or won't, do division...I've known all along that the island would be at least 85". That just doesn't sound as long as 7 feet.

I wasn't sure about the woodtop's legs, but I do like them -- enough so that I sort of wish they were a squarer simpler design, but, whatever. I'm an expert now at "getting over" stuff.

I like how the hanging pendants line up in this view. Notice how the island is centered on the cooktop, niche and hood, and draws your eye right in there? That's the sort of thing kitchen designers think of. That never in a million years would have occurred to me as a design element, but I can't take my eyes off it now.

Why a butcher block top?

Well, I'm torn -- matching countertops would bring the whole kitchen together, but now that I see how the quartz composite doesn't bowl you over like granite does (sniff), it's just as well. Butcher block goes completely against my no-maintenance grain (har har), but it'll be easy to rub oil over it on an island with no corners or details. Really, my main reason was comfort. I bake a lot with glass bowls, chop a lot with acrylic cutting boards, and wanted a softer, quieter, more forgiving surface with a little extra traction for most of my prep.

The island is also a little lower than the countertops too, something only users 5'2" and shorter will notice, and greatly appreciate.

I have to laugh when people make comments about kids doing craft projects on the island. Kids? My kids? On my island?!! Glue? Crayons? Glitter? Pencil used as awls? No way! Yes, Sharpie does fade from wood in a few months (arrghhh...), but, thanks, no. They have the rest of the house for their graffiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment